Here in North Carolina and I’d say about 99% of the southern states often deal with extremely hot weather in the summer! I know often we have 100% humidity and 99+ degree days! It can be miserable!
It also can be dangerous to exercise in!
When dealing with such extreme temperatures and humidity you can be at risk for hyperthermia, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke if you workout in the heat of the day! Also some underlying health issues can be aggravated by the heat as well! High blood pressure, blood sugar and breathing conditions such as asthma and COPD issues can all cause concern in high heat and humidity! None of these are something you want to deal with!
How to Avoid Over Doing It-
- Pay attention to the weather! If its going to be really hot out that day or the humidity is going to be high, schedule your workout early in the day or late in evening-again watching the temps and humidity!
- Hydrate-Hydrate-Hydrate and hydrate some more! Make sure you are drinking at least half your body weight in pure water! Then add some more or even possibly some Gatorade. I don’t often like those but if you are working out, outside in the heat, one to two bottles can be helpful-BUT-get your water in first!!!
- Try another workout! For instance, today I want to get some cardio in. I really wanted to go for a walk but it just too hot! So I am opting for water walking in the pool. If you don’t have a pool but have access to an air conditioned gymnasium or gym-hop on a treadmill or go walking in the gymnasium(you could also run!).
- Wear light colored and moisture wicking fabric!!! It really does make a difference! You don’t want any extra sun beating down on you and you certainly don’t want a heavy material sitting against your skin! A cotton t-shirt may feel good when you’re out and about but when your working out it can actually retain heat!!!
- And lastly-try breaking up your workout! You might do half of it in the morning and then finishing the rest in the evening. Or break it up into 10 minute increments, scattered throughout the day!
Please just make sure you take precautions the next couple of months when dealing with this heat! There have been times we have had summer temps all the way into October!
There is nothing more frustrating to be making progress in your fitness journey and then get sick and be set back a week or so. So taking precautions can help you further your fitness journey!!
What are some of your favorite summer time workouts?
Comment below-I’d love to get some new ideas!!